Monday, January 23, 2012

Children Are Our Future

After reading all the finger pointing I posted on a site I said I never would. That was my first and last post!!!

SMITH COUNTY RESIDENTS.....WHAT ELSE HAS TO HAPPEN IN OUR COUNTY BEFORE SOMETHING IS DONE????

I have never posted on this site but I have heard enough. Product of your home environment? I feel for this family & am praying for them. How heartbreaking to put their little boy to rest because he was so lost from the meanness of others.. While it is true that none of us will ever know how he felt but the words of the other kids at school as to what happened are screaming volumes to me. I had two out of three of my children that attended Gordonsville bullied, harassed, grabbed, shoved, humilited, retaliated against, locked in a room so other parents could confront them, physically abused and ridiculed. In the words of some of you... Kids will Kids right? Well guess what it wasn't kids doing it but teachers. Not all teachers just two. I went to the school, Janice Fox, Roger Lewis and the school board. I could have owned Smith County School District but felt what would that prove without change. I took the high road went through the channels, filled out the paperwork, attended meetings and talked and talked and talked. Heck I even started a blog to share my journey. Surprise surprise after two years it got me now where and the teachers responsible still walk the halls of GHS and continued to harass one of my children. Roger Lewis kept it at the school level so the board wouldn't even talk to me. So I ask all of you this... What is it going to take to change our schools? What more has to happen before people say enough is enough. Maybe instead of fighting with yourselves as to who is at fault or the reason maybe we should stand together and make some changes before this happens to another child. As for the home environment comment what do you have to say to a parent that is there for their kids? Whose kids were involved in school, set good examples, didnt get in trouble and aren't on drugs? My children aren't perfect as no one is but did they deserve this abuse by the very people that are suppose to protect them? If I was abusing them at home they would be the first to call the law... So who do the parents call? Who is responsible? Where do we go when the people we elected turn their backs because it a school problem but the school won't do anything? When I started my blog 3 board members told me to call and email which I did. Guess what not one of them called me back. Was that for public show to make everyone feel like they care? I don't know you tell me....

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with what you are saying. My parents went to GHS, as did I, my siblings and both of my kids (one graduated, one now in elementary school). It has always been "who you know" and not "who you are" around here. I've had that go in my favor and against me, so I can truly attest to both sides. I have been reading all the posts and websites and biting my tongue as I am not one to gossip, stir up trouble or put my very private thoughts on the Internet for the whole world to read, but I am thankful to you for this forum which is in good taste and respectful, to which I can make a comment. There are good teachers at GHS that truly care and want the help the kids, but there are also those who should not be in a position of authority, who are bullies themselves or just show up to class and see it as only a "job" and not the privileged position that it is. We entrust these people to not only teach, but care for and about our kids while they are in school. Not only our kids but every kid that has been placed in their care. If you don't have that ability to care about the kids you teach, then you really should find another profession. The teachers either grew up here, married someone from here or are otherwise related to someone from here. That's the major issue and everyone looking in sees it, but no one at the school seems to. It's human nature to have a closer bond with someone you already know, know their parents or are otherwise acquainted with them so I can see how easy it would be for some teachers to pay more attention to those students which they know, but in most cases, it's the students they do not know well that need the most help and attention. If their true intent on becoming a teacher/educator was to help kids (all kids) to learn and grow then they need to step up and do what is right for all kids and it needs to start at the top. If changes are not made, the cycle will continue as it has for years and years. I will try for my part to do what I can as I truly do not wish to send my youngest to GHS if changes are not made.

    I did not know Phillip but my heart breaks for him and his family. I just hope that we can make positive changes that will honor his name and memory.

    ReplyDelete